Apache™ Subversion® (SVN) is a tool for versioning and revision control of current and historical versions of files such as source code, web pages, and documentation. Apache™ Subversion® is a registered trademark of the Apache Software Foundation. See the package information in the package manager for more information.
Revision control, also known as version control or source control, is the management of changes to documents, programs, and other information stored as computer files. It is most commonly used in software development, where a team of people may change the same files.
The main tasks of a version control system are:
- Log of changes: It can be reproduced at any time what changes have been made, when and from whom those changes have been done.
- Restore of old revisions of single files. Changes of files by mistake can by undone at any time.
- Archiving of specific revision of a project. It is always possible to go back to older versions.
- Coordination of shared access of developers.
- Simultaneous development of multiple branches of a project.
The functions of Subversion are directly available in CODESYS and completely integrated into the CODESYS Development System.